Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lone Star, Tayshas, and 2 X 2 Book List

Two Books from the 2008 Lone Star Book List


The Mysterious Benedict Society
By Trenton Lee Stewart


This lively novel revolves around Reynie Muldoon's decision to answer an odd ad asking for gifted children. He is encouraged by his tutor to answer it and goes forth with it. He and three other gifted children must uncover a secret plot held by The Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened. Their plot is to take over the world. These four children must find a way to stop this plan. This story struck me as being whimsical and very kid friendly. I really enjoyed reading this book.




First Light
By Rebecca Stead




Peter and Thea are two adolescents that have grown up in two totally different worlds. Peter is a twelve year old who lives above the Earth and Thea lives underneath the Earth with her people. This is an interesting book, but it did have some slow moments. I am sure that middle school children will find this book to be a pretty great read. The concept of an underground world is awesome and the fact that she wants to escape from it makes for a good storyline.

Two 2008 Tayshas Book List Picks





The Plain Janes
By: Cecil Castellucci


This graphic novel caught me by complete surprise! The drawings reminded me of regular comic books and we illustrated beautifully. The story begins when Jane is moved to another city and feels like a fish out of water. She is excited when she meets three other girls, who also happen to be named Jane. They form their own secret society and named their crew, "The Plain Janes". They begin to make their presence known in town by drawing art all over the city. I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel, I even passed it on to my fourteen year old God daughter read. I knew that this book would motivate her to read a little.






Shark Girl
By: Kelly Bingham


When I read the title, I didn't know what to expect, a little part of me thought it was going to be Science Fiction. Well, I was absolutely wrong! This incredibly captivating book revolves around Jane Arrowood. She is a fifteen year old girl that was a living a great life, she is intelligent, popular and beautiful. All that seems to be nothing after she is attacked by a shark and has to have her arm amputated. I was crying when this happened. I couldn't believe it was happening to her. She tries to adjust to her new situation, and it is not always easy. I really enjoyed it and again, I am sharing this one with my God daughter!


2 x 2 Book List Pick


The Perfect Nest
By: Catherine Friend

I fell in love with this book as soon as I began to read it. The book begins by introducing this cute little cat named Jack, who is absolutely starving. All he wants is a divine omelet, but of course he needs eggs. So this clever little cat creates a comfortable little nest that is very appealing to not only a chicken, but a duck and goose as well. They are all there and each lay an egg, but not the cat has the problem that they won't leave. This book is hilarious and I know I will use it during my read aloud time in the library.
































































No comments: